June Retail Potato Sales: Volume Down but Value Up

Published online: Aug 01, 2018 Articles
Viewed 2018 time(s)

Source: Potatoes USA

The total volume of potatoes sold at retail in the U.S. was down 3.2 percent in June 2018 compared to June 2017, though the value did increase 1.1 percent with a 4.8 percent increase in price per pound. The overall decline in sales was driven by a 5.9% fall in fresh potato volume, an 11.4 percent decrease in deli prepared sides, a 1 percent drop for potato chips and a 3.6 percent decline for canned potatoes. On the positive side, the volume of frozen sales was up 2.6 percent, refrigerated up 2 percent, and dehydrated potatoes up 0.9 percent.

For fresh potato sales, all varieties saw increased volume in June except russets, which were off by 10.9 percent, though they did see an 11.4 percent increase in price per pound, leading to sales value down less than 1 percent. Yellow volume was up 7.8 percent, whites up 3.8 percent, purple/blues up 39.5 percent, and reds up 1.5 percent. The volume of fresh potatoes sold in 1- to 4-pound bags was up 5.2 percent, while all other package sizes declined, with 10-pound bags and over-10-pound bags recording the biggest drops with declines of 15.4 and 12.7 percent, respectively.

For further details see the attached reports. These figures are compiled by IRI. Potatoes USA accepts no liability for the content of these reports, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of any information contained herein.

Download PDF
View PDF