“Nacho Usual Breakfast” is the creative and catchy title of the grand prize-winning recipe in the United States Potato Board’s Guilt-Free Potato Goodness recipe contest. The winning recipe was selected by Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien, who loved winner Linda Hall’s innovative take on traditional breakfast.
Nacho Usual Breakfast features slices of baked Russet potatoes topped with scrambled eggs, chopped spinach, reduced fat cheddar cheese and salsa on top for a truly unique spin on the morning meal. Hall, of Evanston, Ill., explains: “I wanted to make something creative, but also easy enough for every day. I am thrilled that Hungry Girl liked my recipe.”
The contest, which was hosted on the USPB’s Potato Goodness Facebook page, invited potato fans to submit their original, mouth-watering and guilt-free potato recipes. As the grand prize winner, Hall wins a trip for two to Los Angeles and a meet-and-greet with Lillien at her new Hungryland headquarters and test kitchen.
The contest reminded all potato fans of the nutritional power of potatoes: one medium-size (5.3 ounces) skin-on potato contains just 110 calories per serving, boasts more potassium (620 mg) than a banana, provides almost half the daily value of vitamin C (45 percent), and contains no fat, sodium or cholesterol. With seven unique potato types and many ways to prepare them, you can enjoy potatoes every day of the week and substitute them into any dish.
Visit www.potatogoodness.com to see potato recipes developed by Hungry Girl and find hundreds more creative potato recipe ideas. You can also sign-up to receive the USPB’s weekly recipe email to receive a new healthy potato recipe in your email in-box each week.
Nacho Usual Breakfast
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. sliced Russet potatoes, cut to between 1/8-inch and 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. chipotle powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. vegetable or olive oil
- 1 cup shredded or roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 3 large eggs
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss potato slices with chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder (if using), and oil. Spread on the baking sheet, with as little overlapping as possible.
- Bake until tender on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside, about 25 minutes. For crispier potatoes, cook 5 to 10 more minutes or until potatoes reach desired texture.
- About 5 minutes before potatoes are done, combine egg whites, eggs, salt and pepper in a medium-large bowl. Add 1 tbsp. water, and thoroughly whisk. Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Cook and scramble until set, about 3 minutes.
- Arrange cooked potato slices on a serving dish. Top with spinach and scrambled eggs. Sprinkle with cheese and top with salsa. Serve immediately.
Nutritionals per serving:
208 calories, 6.5g fat, 372mg sodium, 23.5g carbs, 2g fiber, 2g sugars, 14.5g protein