The J.R. Simplot Company is looking to hire a full-time fresh commercialization manager to work with its plant sciences group in Boise, Idaho.
Here's the posting:
- The J.R. Simplot Company is searching for a seasoned Fresh Commercialization Manager to work in its Plant Sciences group out of its Boise, Idaho, office to lead the commercialization and sales efforts for fresh potatoes going into retail and food service channels. The Fresh Commercialization Manager will work with customers across the fresh industry including growers, packers, shippers, dehydrators and other potential outlets to develop the supply chains and secure potato commitments in target channels.
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in developing and executing on a business model to sell fresh potatoes into retail, foodservice and process markets.
- Lead the commercialization of advantaged potatoes in fresh potato markets. Develop fresh potato supply chains that will maximize crop value and support Retail and Food Service demand. Work with internal sales and marketing teams and external partners to position new varieties in channels that optimize potato value and drive volume. Develop multiple outlet channels to ensure full crop utilization. Work with customers to establish adoption plans including volumes, varieties and timelines. Ensure customer adoption and/or development of best practices that drive trait value.
- Ensure that new potato varieties are properly licensed for growing, selling and processing. Work with customers to establish volumes and clarify all license terms including royalties, rebates, registration and stewardship requirements. Execute the licenses with the customers and track all payments and potato dispositions as per license agreements. Communicate stewardship requirements, assess customer readiness and work with internal Stewardship team to ensure all customers comply with stewardship requirements.
- Drive business development in the fresh potato industry. Communicate new variety benefits and commercialization plans broadly across the industry. Work with agronomy team to set up field trials to demonstrate potato value. Present opportunities for utilization of new potato varieties to interested potential customers including potato growers, packers, shippers, dehydrators and other potential outlets. Continuously seek opportunities to develop higher value outlets for new potato varieties that can leverage advantaged potato traits.
- Explore and engage international opportunities for biotech potatoes. Investigate the business case for growing and/or selling new potato varieties in foreign markets of interest. Investigation will include potato utilization, biotech acceptance, regulatory policies, approval processes and variety security. Work with economics consultant to estimate profitability. Reach out to potential partners to assess interest and arrange country/market visits.
- B.S. (M.S. or Ph.D. preferred) which could be from Agronomy, Biology, Molecular Biology, Business, Chemistry, Engineering, Food Science or other relevant majors.
- Must have at least five years of relevant experience in sales, marketing, or commercialization in the fresh potato industry. Experience must include new product introductions. Additional experience in fresh operations and potato production is preferred. Must have experience or training in negotiation.
- Must exhibit an in-depth understanding of fresh potato markets and the supply chain including grower and packer economic drivers, potato variety and quality impacts, pack strategies, outlets for #2 or off-grade potatoes, typical customer requirements, and shipping point price drivers.
- Should have a basic understanding of potato agronomics and growing principles. Prefer additional knowledge in potato processing such as fries, chips, dehy, fresh cut, etc. Must have demonstrated ability to provide high level of customer service and ability to develop and maintain customer relationships. Supervisory experience and skills preferred.
- Requires project management skills in addition to negotiation skills, excellent communication skills, formal presentation skills, ability to understand and communicate technical data related to agriculture production and marketing. Capable of managing multiple priorities at once
- Secondary language is desirable.
- Expect 50 percent travel.
- Valid Driver's License and Passport
- Select "Job Search"
- Select "Current Opportunities"
- Select "All Open Positions"
- Apply to Job ID #1650
Internal Simplot Candidates:
- Please apply via Employee Space using your Simplot email address
- Please prepare a cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications and submit with your resume via our online application process described above. For best results, please upload your resume as a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF document. This process includes additional job relevant questions, so plan on at least 20 minutes when you apply.
- When a position is in the interview stage or has been filled, it will no longer appear on our Simplot Careers website. If you experience any technical difficulties when applying through our online system, please contact our Employment Center for assistance firstname.lastname@example.org.
*The J.R. Simplot Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer*