The USPB Domestic Marketing Committee met in San Francisco, CA, May 20, 2010, for a planning session and to receive highlights on current public relations, advertising, research, retail, foodservice and issues management programs.
The Fiscal Year (FY) 2011 program plans and budgets were also presented for the committee to discuss, comment on and give feedback. Idaho Potato Commission Vice President— Foodservice Don Odiorne, Washington State Potato Commission Executive Director Chris Voigt, Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers Association Director of Promotions and Consumer Education Tim Feit, Colorado Potato Administrative Committee Executive Director Jim Erhlich and United Potato Growers of America CEO Lee Frankel also attended the meeting to lend support and provide regional insight.
“The USPB Domestic Marketing FY 2011 plan is insights driven and ROI oriented,” said Kathleen Triou, USPB Vice President of Domestic Marketing. “We’re presenting focused objectives and clearly defined tactics for next year’s programs. Through the successful execution of these strategies, the USPB will achieve its objective of increasing the demand for potatoes and potato products.”
In delivering the FY 2011 program overview, a new platform planning approach was introduced identifying consumers, nutrition influencers, foodservice, retail and manufacturers as the five target audiences for USPB Domestic Marketing. The program objectives for each of these audiences are:
- Build demand for potatoes
- Produce integrated programming to maximize industry investment
- Raise industry awareness and use of the “Potatoes…Goodness Unearthed” campaign
- Protect and enhance a positive image for potatoes and the industry
- Provide a value-added return to growers
- Improve nutritional attitudes about potatoes among media, consumers and nutrition educators
- Educate industry members with research that improves their understanding of the marketplace and ability to compete effectively
- Provide the industry with retail information, promotional concepts and artwork appropriate for customized/localized use
- Improve merchandising and promotion of potatoes at retail
- Increase menu incidence of potatoes at foodservice with an emphasis on healthy potato sides and salads
- Build awareness among top food manufacturers for potatoes’ consumer appeal, health benefits and functionality in on-trend frozen dinners (chicken/seafood/ethnic)
With these objectives in place, platforms, strategies and tactics for each target audience have been developed. Along with a specific platform for each target audience, strategy/insight and concept statements are in place. These are used in the development of strategies and tactics. Where possible, strategy specific tactics have been identified as integrable with other strategies. These will be integrated to preclude duplications of effort and investment.
With valuable input and involvement by the USPB Domestic Marketing Committee, they unanimously approved funding the Proposed FY2011 Domestic Marketing Program as written. Many thanks to the USPB Domestic Marketing Committee members and to the state/national managers for contributing to a productive meeting, establishing the course for the FY2011 USPB Domestic Marketing Program.